Primorsko is a town in Southeast Bulgaria, on the Black sea. The town is situated 60 km from the international airport at Sarafovo – Burgas city, and 3 km from Primorsko there is the local airport of Primorsko, for small aircrafts, with length of runways 950 m. This town is the administration center of Primorsko Municipality. Primorsko was proclaimed as a national tourist resort on the sea side as early as 1953.
Tourism and services have seen their most dynamic development in the structure of municipal economy. Conditions for various types of tourism have been established – not just attractions tourism, but also cultural, rustical, fishing, hunting, sporting, environmental tourism, etc. Nature has bestowed Primorsko with diverse and unique natural resources. Development of tourism is primarily favored by the beaches with total area of 1 045 000 sq. m, and apart from these the protected dunes area is 523 000 sq.m.
Primorsko is being visited annually by millions of foreign and Bulgarian tourists. The town is the preferred destination due to its favorable climate, natural beauty, historical and cultural monuments on its territory, hospitality of local population and last, but not least because of the various attractions offered to the tourists, which makes it appropriate for a calm family vacation, and intensive holidays with numerous parties and emotions. The infrastructure of Primorsko is well designed, with regular bus communication to the adjacent resorts and urban areas, regular bus line to the capital and a number of international destinations, an aqua park, restaurants that offer Bulgarian national cuisine, fast food facilities, pizza houses, cafés, snack bars, discos, bistros and shops. Attractions such as kite surf, water skying,water slides, surfing, scooters, water jets, fishing, boat and yacht trips, beach volleyball, tennis courts and many others, and these are just some of the amusements for holidaymakers and tourists.
An unspoiled world of dense forests, sand dunes and marsh flowers. Here is the Ropotamo Reserve that was proclaimed as a protected area as early as 1940. It extends on both sides of the river with the same name, on an area of 1000 ha. It is comprised of smaller reserves, as follows: Arkutino - marsh lagoon with abundant variety of flora species, Snake Island - known with its cacti and snakes, Sea wormwood – named after a the weed with the same name growing here and used in pharmaceutical industry, and the Water Lilies that covers a sort of lily garden in the old riverbed. The Ropotamo River is 50 km long and it streams from two rivers, the Rosenska and the Tserovska Rivers, springing from the Strandja Mountain. The upper river is a fresh water stream, while approaching the sea, its water becomes salty. Its banks covered by lush greenery alternate with sand dunes and fanciful rock formations. Here, downstream river water is calm and deep, at some places lush meadows and wetlands have been formed, occupied by reeds, irises and lianas. Just before the Ropotamo River reaches its mouth, its banks form the scenic firth, surrounded by dense forests and many climbing plants. The shallower sections, along the banks and near the river ponds, one can see delicate water lilies, irises and reeds growing. In the Ropotamo Reserve there are the habitats of many rare species of fauna and flora, and some of these have been listed in the Red Book of Bulgaria. As it was found, this is the habitat of 226 bird species, among these woodcocks, finches, Redwings, crested and common terns, plovers, wild geese, singing and mute swans, herons, pelicans, ducks, sea eagles, hawks, vultures, and others. This is a crossing point of the east European route of migratory birds, Via Pontica. There are 50 species of registered mammals: red deer and fallow deer, mouflon, otters, foxes, jackals, etc. This has been the reserve of approximately 11% of flora species as listed in the Red book of Bulgaria. Al these natural treasures maintained on the fairytale river banks of Ropotamo can be seen at an easy reach when boating on the river. Another opportunity to learn about this countryside exists since 2003, when a visitor center was established and provided with a demonstrations hall and access was provided to the full information for the reserve area. Bizarre rocks are towering on the sides of the Ropotamo River and they have been inspiring human imagination for centuries on end. The most popular among these, however, is the so-called Lion Head that was proclaimed as a natural phenomenon in 1947. In fact this is a formation of numerous pieces of rock shaped as a lion head when seen from aside. There are several legends about this rock, resembling an Egyptian sphinx. As it goes, there was a deep well on top of the rock with a gold treasure buried there. They say it was hidden here by the famous rebel Valchan chieftain , who tricked a Turkish ship laden with gold to the river month and put it on fire. The hill of the Lion Head was named after this rebel, Vulchanovo Kale. In the opinion of some archeologists, here was the Thracian fort called Ranuli, while the rocky lion used to be it guard.
Thracian sanctuary-observatory Beglik tash. Situated amongst the slopes of Cape Maslen Nos, a ring of huge rocks where during solstice and equinox sunshine passes through to form a unique calendar. Beglik tash was found in 2003, and this has been the most ancient Thracian megalith sanctuary ever found on the Bulgarian Black sea coast and Southeast Thracia. It existed in the late Bronze epoch (13th c. B.C.) and according to archeological studies, and it had bubbling active life until the coming of the first Christians to these lands. Beglik tash extends over an area of 12 decares and represents an enormous circle of rocks placed on a rocky surface. The huge pieces of rock, some of them as high as 9 meters, have been partially treated by a human hand and arranged in incredible shapes. This place was worshipped by the old Thracians. It was here they used to bring offerings for the gods and gradually it becomes a sanctuary. Over time they built homes for the priests, serving here.
This sanctuary is associated with the cult for Mother Goddess of fertility, an Orphic consecration and immortalization of Heroya. Semi-precious stones were found and it is assumed that they were offered as gift to the Mother Goddess .An interesting fact is that a preserved altar, there have been no traces of animal sacrifices, but findings have revealed figs, plumbs, corn and millet. Near this altar, there is the stone throne used by the ruler or the priest. On the rocks there are holes, drilled to let falling rays of sunshine through on these points during solstice. The rocks served as a clock, as well. Sunshine falling onto the main altar divides the day in six equal parts.
It has been assumed that the sanctuary of Beglik tash was built in the 14th c. B.C. and never stopped functioning until the 5th c.A.D. It was an attractive place for Thracians, Romans and Greeks in various epochs of its life. It is further assumed that the bed of stone used to bring together in a ritual union, the supreme priest and the supreme priestess. The baths placed around this bed were used to contain water, oil, milk and wine. Wine was the symbol of the earth, oil – of fire, milk – of air, and this is how the four elements were brought together.